This is the 2nd butter cake I have baked. I prepared the batter when my daughter was in her enrichment class, I was only able to pop the cake in the oven just before her class end. I thought since the baking period is 45 mins, I should have sufficient time to pick her back. When I reached home, my helper told me a bad news - the top of my cake was burnt, that was even before the baking time is reached :(
Luckily I was still able to salvage the cake by sliced away the burnt area.
Recipe from Aunty Yochana's Blog.
250 gm Butter
100 gm Sugar
1 tsp Vanilla Essence
90 gm Egg Yolk
1 Tbsp Evaporated milk
200 gm Cake flour
5 gm Baking powder
a pinch of salt
160 gm Egg White
100 gm Sugar
1. Beat butter, sugar, salt and vanilla essence until light and creamy.
2. Add in the egg yolk one at a time and beat until creamy. Add in evaporated milk.
3. Fold in seived cake flour and baking powder.
4. Whisk egg white and sugar to a soft peak and fold gently into the creamed butter mixture.
5. Pour into a 20 cm. round tin and bake at 175C for about 45 mins. or until cooked.
The cake is very soft but a bit dried due to the burnt top. It will definately taste good if is not over baked. I will definately bake again to try the actual texture.