My friend C has invited a few of us to his house for bbq. I made him a birthday cake since his birthday is just 2 days after the bbq. After flipping through all the recipes, I had decided to make him a non bake Serradura Cheesecake. This was because I can only arrive Singapore in the afternoon due to my oversea trip and non bake cheesecake is the easiest, I do not need to wait for the cake to cool down before doing all the frosting and decoration. And for this non bake cheesecake, I can just do a simple decoration by dusting cocoa powder on the top and decorate with some strawberries.
For this bbq, we had been asking C to host it at his house for long long time and finally his invitation arrived. I prefer to gather at his house because it is more convenience for me to travel, I stay at East, he stay at Northeast and most of them, stay at West. (what a selfish brat :P)
When his reminder email of the bbq came in, I was in KL. I opened his email and saw this :
Looking forward to see you all at the BBQ tomorrow. Hope all of you will enjoy it! Though this is the first time I organise a bbq, my wife and I have lots of fun planning :))
See ya !
Mixed green salad with cherry tomatoes, Japanese cucumber with Italian or Japanese sesame dressing
Chargrilled Wagyu ribeye Grade 9, 2 cm thick
Chargrilled Wagyu striploin Grade 9, 2 cm thick
Chargrilled Angus ribeye, 2 cm thick
Chargrilled Japanese Black pork with two type of marination
(Steak seasoned with sea salt & black pepper or Lawry's unique seasalt/crack pepper seasoning)
Japanese XL scallop
Cod fish (for children in case they dont want meat)
Lightly seared salmon
Grilled zuchini, mixed bell peppers, Shitate mushroom, sweet corn on the cob, sweet potatoes
Evian, coke, coke zero, sprite, wine
Japanese Mochi , Japanese Honey drew Ice cream, Strawberries, grapes and apples
I was thinking, hmmm... did I see the correct email? I rubbed my eyes again, still the same message. Is this bbq? why no satay, no otak, no chicken wing? I meant most of the bbq we go will definately come with all these food right? Looking at the menu,wagu beef, angus ribeye, XL scallop, salmon, cod fish.... should I wear nice dinner dress to attend? Ha ha ha.
Well, this bbq was really an eye opener for me, C even got a chef friend to help to bbq for us. Basically, we were just like kings and queens, sat down there kept eating and drinking and chatting without even need to move our butts, the food just served right infront to us.
My dear husband even told me this was the 1st bbq he never sweat at all. Of course lah my dear, you don't need to lay a finger to bbq the food what!
Super Chef W bbq-ing for us
What's more, we even packeted the unfinished food back. When my MIL and helper saw the price tag on the packed 4 slices of angus beef, their eyes nearly pop out! The cost of that angus beef was S$80+ and my friend J brought home 4 slices of wagu beef which cost $200+. And there were somemore that brought home by the other friends. OMG, our eyes all laying around the floor.
I never had such wonderful and enjoyable bbq before. Not only the sumptuous food, and of course the companions as well.
Thank you C, all of us had enjoyed the bbq so much, we are still drooling when think about the food especially wagu beef even so long after the bbq. You really set such high standard and what should we expect for our next bbq :P And of course so pai sei to let you spent so much $, we all know you had spent over S$1k on this bbq for just only 12 pax. Again, thank you so much!
And not forgetting our super chef W, for bbq the food for us and also sharing with us all the tips to cook steak, cod fish and salmon.
So C, when is the next bbq? hee hee hee...
Recipe for the cake :
100g oreo biscuit (crushed)
3-4 tbsps melted butter
Ingredients (for 7”)
220g cream cheese
220ml whipping cream
1 3/4 tbsps (25gm) icing sugar
2 1/3 tsps lemon juice
1tbsps gelatine powder + 2 tbsps (56ml) water
1/2 tsp vanilla essence
4 1/2 tbsps honey
1/2+ cup Marie biscuit crumbs
1/2+ digestive biscuit crumbs
125gm chocolate melted
1. To make the crust, mix the marie biscuit crumbs with the melted butter. Press the mixture firmly onto the bottom of the round cake mould and freeze in the fridge for at least 1 hour.
2. Beat the whipping cream until stiff. Set aside.
3. Mix the gelatine powder with water and mix well. Heat it over a pot of simmering water until the gelatine dissolves.
4. Beat the cream cheese until smooth. Add sugar and beat well.
5. Add lemon juice and gelatine solution. Mix well.
6. Fold in whipped cream and divide mixture into 3 portions.
7. Fold in 100g melted chocolate into 1 portion.
8. Fold in honey and vanilla essence into the other 2 portions.
9. Pour in the chocolate portion into the chilled oreo biscuit base and put into the fridge to let it set..
10. Sprinkle a generous layer of digestive biscuit crumbs on top.
11. Split the white portion into half and pour over the crumbs. Level it and put into the fridge to let it set..
12. Sprinkle a layer of Marie biscuit crumbs over the cheese filling.
13. Add other half of white batter, top with spoonfuls of remaining chocolate batter, swirling to marble patterns
14. Sprinkle another layer of mixed digestive & marie biscuit crumbs and top with chopped walnuts or coca powder.
15. Chill overnight.
16. To serve, run a knife along the sides of the cake, unmould, and slice.
Due to the short period of freezing the cake, the cake was a bit messy after unmould. And C's helper listened to wrong instruction and did not put the cake in the freezer. Luckily the look doesn’t affect the taste, everyone has high comment on the cake. C's wife kept telling me that the cake look like bought from 5 star hotel :), she is really good at complimenting.