I baked this birthday cake for my friend E's son. I didnt have much headache on deciding what cake to bake for him since E like the chocolate swirl cake. And also I have 2 birthday cakes to bake during this week, thus this cake is more easier for me as I can skip the layering part, just frost the external of the cake with chocolate ganache will do.
I baked the cake one day in advance and decorated the cake next day as I do not have sufficient time to bake and frost the cake at the same day since I can only do it after my work.
I having bad headache, so don't have much engery to decorate the cake thus came out this simple deco. The oreo biscuit is to cover the uneven side of the cake.
I baked extra of one 8" x 3.5" x 3" to give away to my friend as CNY gift.
I used the previous recipe with modification.
Chocolate Swirl Cheesecake
Ingredients Yield one 6" & one 8" x 3.5" x 3" cake tins
330g cream cheese, softened
50g castor sugar
1. Beat cream cheese with sugar until light and fluffy
2. Beat in egg until well incorporated and set it aside
250g butter, softened
4 tbsp cocoa powder
160g plain flour (I have run out of self-raising flour)
2.25 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1.25 tbsp chocolate milk
1. Sieve flour, baking powder and cocoa together and put aside
2. Beat butter and sugar until light and fluffy
3. Add egg, one at a time and beat until well incorporated into mixture
4. Fold flour mixture, salt and chocolate milk into egg mixture.
5. To assemble, pour half of mixture ‘B’, then all of mixture ‘A’, then followed by the remaining mixture ‘B’.
6. Bake in preheat oven at 180C for 40 min or until skewer comes out clean.
200g Dark Chocolate
1 tbsp Glucose
Boil milk and glucose, add in chocolate and stir well till smooth.
Edited on 12 Feb 2010 : E said that the cake is very delicious although is rich and sinful. And her son has asked her why I still work in the company, I should be a baker. Ha ha ha... thanks little J for your nice compliment, I am very very happy! Although I had bad headache during the 2 days of baking and frosting the cake, but is really worthwhile my effort since all of you like the cake.