Friday, April 30, 2010

Non Bake Mango Yogurt Cheesecake



As the birthday cake that I had baked for my sis broke into half and I wanted to compensate her with another cake. Sis had been saying the Choclate Fondant Ultra cake was good enough, dun need to bake again but I still insisted.


Before my sis's birthday , I got her to choose which cake she want for her birthday, she said chocolate or cheesecake. Since I had baked the chocolate cake so this time round I am looking at cheesecake.



There are so many cheesecake recipes and all look so yummy, I have headache for selecting. Finally I decided on the Non Bake Mango Yogurt Cheesecake from Alex Goh's Fantastic Cheesecake cos I have a few very ripe mangoes that given by my brother siting in the fridge.

I used 4 mangoes in total for the mango puree, mango cubes and the mango slices for decoration.


I didn't do a good job on the decoration of mango slices. For me it is not an easy job cos of slicing of the mangoes. I can't slice it to thin cos it will be too soft & weak to roll into shape, I can't slice to thick cos will not be possible to roll it. Thus, some of the mango slices actually went into my stomach hahaha...



Luckily the making of cake was quite smooth, although there were more works to be done to make this cake but I had great satisfaction when the cake turned out to be not bad :P.


Most importantly, my sis loves the cake.



Recipe adapted from Alex Goh's Fantastic Cheesecake with some modification.

Ingredients :
Base :
80g digestive biscuit crumbs
20g ground hazenut
50g melted butter (a bit too wet, next time shd use 40g)

Filling :
250g cream cheese
35g castor sugar
1 tbsp lemon juice
150g mango puree (as I had sliced the mangoes to thin or thick, I actually thrown it to blend for mango puree so the puree was about 220g)
140g mango yogurt
1.5 tbsp gelatin powder
60g water
150g whipping cream (whipped)
1 mango (cubed)

Top Glazing :
50g mango puree
1 tsp gelatin powder
3 tbsp water

Method :
1. Mix the cake base ingredients together and press firmly into an 7" springform/removeable base cake tin, baked at preheated oven for 5 - 10 mins for 180C, chill for minimum 2 hours once is cooled.
2. Whip whipping cream till stiff and chill for later use.
3. Measure water into a bowl and sprinkle in the gelatin (without stirring with a spoon). Set aside to allow the gelatin grains to swell (10 mins) before setting the bowl over a pot of simmering hot water. Stir with a spoon and once the gelatin melts, remove the bowl from the pot and set aside to cool to room temperature.
4. Cream cheese and castor sugar until light and fluffy.
5. Add in mango puree and mix until well combine.
6. Add in mango yogurt and mix until well blended.
7. Pour in gelatin solution and mix until well blended.
8. Fold in whipped cream and mix well. If desired, remove about 1 cup of the mixture, set aside to use for piping.
9. Remove cake tin from fridge and place the mango cubes on the base.
10. Pour cheese mixture onto cake base and chill for at least 1 hour.
11. For top glazing : Dissolve gelatin powder with boiling water and stir into mango puree. Pour topping (reserve 1 tbsp for the slice mangoes) gently onto chilled cheesecake.
12. Slice some mangoes for garnishing. Decorate the cake with mango slices and spoon retained mango glaze over them. Chill or freeze for at least 3 hours before serving.

Verdict?
The cake is light and refreshing, it tasted so much like ice-cream when I freezed the cake. Everyone likes the cake especially dear daughter, she ate a big slice and I need to request for 2 slices to bring back home for her and she finished the next day.

14 comments:

  1. What a beautiful combination...mango and cheese...mmm. I really like this. Love the mango flower on top. Thanks for sharing. MaryMoh at http://www.keeplearningkeepsmiling.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a lovely and delicious cake you have made for your sis...I can't take my eyes off the thick cheese filling ;p I totally understand what you meant about using up more mangoes than required...like you, most of the time, some of the ingredients would go into my stomach, lolz!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Mary, yes the mango & cheese combination is yummilicous and thanks for ur dropping by.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi HHB, that is the prob of baker, eating more than other pp and worst for some1 like me who need to watch my waistline :P. Thanks for dropping by.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi,this is a beautiful cake, I think you had done a good job and mango is one of most favorite fruit.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh! I have just linked you in my blog roll ;D

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Ann thank u so much for your nice words and link to your blog. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. The mango cheesecake looks delicious! The frozen one looks great too.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for following my blog and linking it to yours. :)
    I have the same book too and I've been hesitating whether to make this cake, cos I'm very scared of the mango turning brown, as it happened to one of my mango cheesecakes.
    May I know what type mango did you use? Chokanen or White Lily or Elephant tusk? I think these are the few common Thai mangoes always on sale. Or maybe you used some other varieties?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Angie, the frozen one tasted especially good cos like ice-cream. Thanks for dropping by.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Wendy, I m not sure which type of mangoes I used but those were bought at JB those van selling at roadside. For the 2 mango cakes that I had made, the mango didnt turn brown even put for 2-3 days in the fridge. However some of the edge of the mango slices that I used for deco did turn a bit brown.

    ReplyDelete
  12. This cake looks abosulutely beautiful and delicious! Makes me feel like grabbing some mangoes and doing one straightaway now that it is mango season. happen to have 2 blocks of philly cheese in my frigde

    happybaking
    cheers

    ReplyDelete
  13. thanks Bakertan for the compliment. Do try out, is simply delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  14. your mango cheesecake look so yummy!!!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for dropping by.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails