This recipe has been pending for quite awhile due to my super long baking list. Until recently, dear daughter requested for chocolate cupcakes and I remember I saw the chocolate version of clear water sponge cake at here. I am not sure why these cupcakes named as clear water since there is no water use in the recipe.
As I wanted to give some support to Jane of Passionate About Baking since she is the host of Aspiring Bakes # 2 for Dec 2010, Christmas theme. Thus, I made some Christmas cupcake wrappers for these cupcakes and dig out a mini Christmas tree for photo taking.
Thank you Ann for sharing with us how to DIY cupcake wrappers, if you are interested to do some yourself, pls hop over her blog for detail instructions. I had miscalculated the size so my cupcake wrappers are way to high for the cupcake cases.
I am sending this to Aspiring Bakers #2 Christmas (Dec 2010) hosted by Passionate About Baking
Recipe adapted from 爱'生活 My Life.
Ingredients : for 10 to 20 cupcakes depending on sizes
3 egg yolks
1 whole egg
50g corn oil (I used canola oil)
18g chocolate (melted)
50g low protein flour (I used cake flour)
3 egg whites
40g castor sugar
1/3 cup chocolate chips
1. Beat whole egg + egg yolks + oil with egg beater till well mixed.
2. Add in melted chocolate and mix well.
3. Sift in cake flour and mix well.
4. Whisk egg whites till frothy, add in castor sugar and salt and beat till stiff peaks.
5. Fold in the egg white mixture to egg yolk mixture in 3 additions, mix till well combined. Scoop the batter into paper cups till 80% full and drop some chocolate chips in the batter.
6. Bake in preheated oven at 170C for about 20 to 23 mins (18 mins for me)
The cake is moist, soft and spongy and light. Dear daughter likes the cupcake a lot, she told me she ate 6 cupcakes within a day :).