Thursday, January 20, 2011
Caramel Mud Cake
I have a packet of white chocolate chips to clear off so was looking around for bakes with white chocolate, I then remember I had bookmarked this caramel mud cake from Ellie. Since I have all the ingredients at home, I went ahead to bake this cake and of course, my cake dun look as nice and delicious as Ellie's but the taste definitely is as good :).
Recipe adapted from Ellie which is from Taste.co.au.
Ingredients : for 8" to 9" round cake pan
200g butter, cubed
200g white chocolate, chopped (I used white chocolate chips)
200g (1 cup, firmly packed) dark brown sugar (I reduced to 115g)
180ml (3/4 cup) hot water
1 tbps golden syrup
2 tsp vanilla essence / extract
2 eggs, at room temperature
150g (1 cup) plain flour
150g (1 cup) self-raising flour
Icing sugar, to dust (I forgot about it)
1. Preheat oven to 160C. Grease and line base and side with non-stick baking paper.
2. Place butter, chocolate, sugar, water, golden syrup and vanilla essence/extract in a heavy-based saucepan. Stir over medium-low heat with a wooden spoon for 5 mins or until chocolate melts and mixture is smooth. Set aside for 20 mins to cool.
3. Add eggs, 1 at a time, beating well after each addition.
4. Sift combined flours over chocolate mixture and stir with a wooden spoon until well combined.
5. Pour mixture into pan and bake in preheated oven for 50-60 mins or until a skewer comes out almost clean.
6. Stand cake for 20 mins before turning onto a wire rack to cool.
The cake is dense and moist, sweetness just nice for me and the taste is great, it has the fragrant taste of white chocolate and caramel. I recieved compliments on this cake and especially dear brother likes it lot.