Monday, April 18, 2011
Pandan Cotton Cake
Time flies, I have not been baking for about 3 months, luckily I have some backlogs so still can keep this blog alive :P.
I am feeling much better now but still not good enough to go back to kitchen, my family and friends have been missing my bakes hahaha.... I miss it myself too :). I am missing my days of baking, cooking and blog hopping, wish I have more engery now.... Well hope this day will arrive soon!
This cake was baked before I am unwell when dear daughter made her requested for a pandan cake. Even I wasn't in mood of baking but still have to fullfil her wish since she never ask for cake for a long period (except talking about her birthday cake). So I looked through my recipes folders trying to find one easy recipe and found this.
Recipe adapted from Jane's Corner with modification.
Ingredients : (8" x 3.5" x 3" cake pan)
40g cake flour
40g fresh milk
3 egg yolks
3 egg whites
35g caster sugar
4 pcs pandan leaves - cut into small pieces, blend and squeeze out the juice (mix well with fresh milk)
1. Melt the butter, mixed in the sifted flour while the butter still warm.
2. Beat the egg yolks lightly and add in pandan juice + fresh milk slowly, mix well.
3. Add in 1/3 of egg yolk mixture to the butter mixture and mix well, pour in the remaining egg yolk mixture and mix well.
4. Whisk egg whites until frothy, add in sugar, continue to whisk till stiff stage.
5. Fold 1/3 of the egg whites to the egg yolk mixture till incorporated, pour in the remaining and mix well.
6. Pour in the batter to the cake pan, lightly bang the cake pan on the table to reduce air bubbles.
7. Bake in pre-heat oven at 170C for 8 mins using water bath, reduce to 150C and continue to bake for another 20C.
8. Invert cake onto a cooling rack until completely cooled. Remove cake from pan and serve.
Like the name, the cake is as soft as cotton, moist and light with hint of pandan taste As what Jane had described, this cake tasted like light cheesecake without cheesy taste, you will like it if you are the fan of light cheesecake. Dear daughter happily ate 3 slices at one go, she told me the cake is very nice. The cake was finised within 2 days, mostly by her.