I feel so bad that I am not able to participate the Little Thumbs Up Apple theme. Although I had planned to make it at least 2 posts but my schedule didn't permit me, really 有心无力 :(.... On top of busy schedule, some happenings, at least 3 major issues that making my mood drop to downhills, haiz... I am counting on the days where bad lucks will go away from me and good deeds will happen on me :p.
Anyway back to today post. Joceline whatsapp me on last week to invite me to join in to give Eileen a surprise by baking pumpkin chiffon cake and post at the same day for the Little Thumbs Up event - Pumpkin that hosted by her. Despite I need to bake 3 birthday cakes for dear son during last weekend, I agreed without hesitation. This is not an obligation but it is a must to support my baking buddy :p.
Actually when I 1st saw Eileen's name appeared in the host list of Little Thumb Up, I already set my mind to prepare as many dishes/bakes as possible to support her. Although pumpkin is not really my "food" but this is a great opportunity for me to make friend with it hahahah...
I thought the event is on November until Joceline's whatsapp, oh no, I still assuming that l have a lot of times to slowly make my pumpkin dishes/bakes, I have to 加油 a bit as I am still far away from my shortlisted menu lol.
As I do not have times to search for recipes, I decided to use my all time favourite rice flour chiffon cake to make modification. Of course need to use my favourite heart shape chiffon pan to show my love to Eileen hahaha....
Look at the color of the chiffon, isn't it so bright and pretty! It really brighten up my cloudy mood, thanks Joceline for inviting me.
Recipe adapted from here and here.
Ingredients : for 8" chiffon cake pan
5 egg yolks
10g caster sugar
40g corn or sunflower oil
1/8 tsp salt 60g cake flour
30g rice flour 在来米粉/粘米粉
100g pumpkin, remove skin and seeds
50g coconut milk
5 egg whites
50g caster sugar
1/2 tsp lemon juice or vinegar
1.Remove skin and seeds and steamed till soft, set aside to cool.
2. Mash the pumpkin using fork until fine, add in coconut milk and mix well, set aside.
3. Sift cake flour and rice flour twice.
4. Mix egg yolks and sugar in a bowl, whisk till sugar has dissolved.
5. Add in oil, salt and pumpkin coconut mixture, mix well.
6. Sift in flour mixture and whisk well.
7.In another bowl, beat the egg whites and lemon juice/vinegar till frothy. Add in sugar gradually and beat until approaching stiff peaks (meringue stand straight with a little curve at the tip) or till stiff peaks (this stage is a bit difficult to fold with egg yolk mixture).
8. Use whisk to loosen the egg yolk batter a bit, then take 1/3 of meringue and use a hand whisk to mix well with egg yolk batter.9. Fold in 1/2 of meringue and use a silicone spatula, gently fold with egg yolk batter till slightly combined. Fold in the balance meringue and gently fold till well combined.
10. Pour the batter from a considerable height into cake pan, lightly shake it left and right to level the cake, then gently bang the cake pan on the table top to release air bubbles.
11. Bake at pre-heated oven at 150C at center rack for 25 mins and 160C for 20-25 mins. (I off the top heat element and on it back during the last 15 mins)
12. Remove the cake pan from oven, drop it from high side to prevent the cake shrink too much during cool process.
13. Turn the cake pan upside down and cool completely before remove from the cake pan.
The cake is so cottony soft and moist with hint of pumpkin and coconut taste, tasted light and delicious, a cake that eat without feeling so heavy and fat lol. The sweetness of the cake is just nice for me but if you have sweet tooth pls increase the sugar. The cake tasted even better after chilled, thumbs up!
This post is linked to the event, Little Thumbs Up organised by Bake for Happy Kids and My Little Favourite DIY, and hosted by Eileen's Diary.
& co-hosted by Charmaine of Mimi Bakery House.