My laptop hard disk burnt a few weeks ago, all my data gone, my baking and cooking photos, my kids' photos and video clips, my recipe collection etc that I have not back up yet. My external hard disk was full and due to busy schedule, I had been delaying getting another one. Just the day when I finally got the new external hard disk and before I can even do the back up, the hard disk just dead :(. Super suay!
Recipe adapted from Orange Rice Flour Chiffon Cake.
Ingredients : for 8" heart shape chiffon cake pan
5 egg yolks
10g brown sugar
40g corn or sunflower oil
1/8 tsp salt
60g cake flour
30g rice flour 在来米粉/粘米粉
100g blueberry yogurt
100g blueberry compote *
1 tsp kirsch
5 egg whites
40g caster sugar
1 tsp lemon juice or vinegar (I only used 1/2)
* Blueberry Compote :
100g fresh or frozen blueberries + 2 tbsp brown sugar + 1 tsp lemon juice cook in a saucepan at low heat. Stir constantly and cook until the blueberries have burst and oozed out the juices. Once it thicken, remove from fire and let cool for later use.
1. Sift cake flour and rice flour twice.
2. Mix egg yolks and sugar in a bowl, whisk till sugar has dissolved.
3. Add in oil, salt, blueberry yogurt, blueberry compote, kirsch and mix well.
4. Sift in flour and whisk well.
5.In another bowl, beat the egg whites and lemon juice/vinegar till frothy. Add in sugar gradually and beat until approaching stiff peaks (meringue stand straight with a little curve at the tip) or till stiff peaks (this stage is a bit difficult to fold with egg yolk mixture).
6. Use whisk to loosen the egg yolk batter a bit, then take 1/3 of meringue and use a hand whisk to mix well with egg yolk batter.
7. Fold in 1/2 of meringue and use a silicone spatula, gently fold with egg yolk batter till slightly combined. Fold in the balance meringue and gently fold till well combined.
8. Pour the batter from a considerable height into cake pan, lightly shake it left and right to level the cake, then gently bang the cake pan on the table top to release air bubbles.
9. Bake at pre-heated oven at 150C at center rack for 25 mins and 160C for 15-20 mins. (I off the top heat element and on it back during the last 15 mins)
10. Remove the cake pan from oven, drop it from high side to prevent the cake shrink too much during cool process.
11. Turn the cake pan upside down and cool completely before remove from the cake pan.
The cake is cottony soft, moist and fluffy. I kept smelling the blueberry fragrance while the cake was still baking in the oven, smell so nice. The sweetness is just nice for me but to some people, is not sweet lol. This cake is yummy and those who likes chiffon cake, given a thumb up, even my helper cannot resist and praised it very nice. The blueberry compote really add a lot of marks to the cake as well, next time I will increase to 150g-200g.