Another backlog that I had shelved it for more than 6 months lol. How nice if there are 36 hours a day instead of 24....
Recipe adapted from Jessie's Cooking Moment and 厨苑食谱
8 Chicken Maryland
5 stalks lemongrass, white part only, chopped
80g red shallots, chopped
4 cloves garlic
40g fresh turmeric, skinned & chopped
40g ginger, skinned & chopped
1 1/2 tbsp tamarind + 5 tbsp water,
10 red chili (I used 3 only as I am serving both of children)
120g coconut milk
3 tbsp olive oil
1 tbsp salt
1 1/2 tbsp brown sugar
1 tsp fish sauce
1. Soak tamarind pulp with water for 10 minutes. Rub the tamarind pulp to wash the seeds clean. Strain the tamarind water and discard the remnants. Save the tamarind water.
2. Blend marinade in a stick blender.
3. Prick chicken slightly with a sharp skewer. Rub through the marinade on the chicken. Refrigerate for at least 2 hours or overnight. If there is extra marinade, refrigerate it in a separate bowl.
4. Display the chicken on the wire rack and bake in preheated oven at 200C for about 1 hr or until cooked through. Start the chicken on skin face down and end with skin face up, this will yield a crispier skin, turn the chicken every 15 mins.
1. Cover the chicken with aluminium foil whenever necessary.
2. I didn’t use all the marinade on the chicken. I kept some aside & brush more on top of the chicken during the process of cooking. For the balance, I added in 2 blended chili and stir fry with a bit of oil to become chili paste, like May had mentioned, this is so yummy to eat with the rice.
Nasi Lamak Coconut Rice
Recipe adapted from my mum with some modification since she used estimation.
Ingredients : for 5 adults and 2 children
3.5 cups rice
350 ml coconut milk
270 ml pandan water (I used the thin layer from my homemade pandan essence that left over from pandan chiffon cake)
5 pandan (screwpine) leaves ,tie in knot
2 thin slices ginger
1 tsp salt - can add more
1. Wash the rice and put in the electric rice cooker together with pandan leaves, coconut milk, pandan water, salt and ginger and soak for 15 - 30 mins. (I read from somewhere that this way will make the rice more fluffy)
2. Cook the rice.
Verdict?For the rice, although is a bit hard which need to add more liquid next time, everyone given a big thumb up, said that they can smell the coconut fragrance once they lifted up the rice cooker cover. My husband thinks that the coconut taste still can be enhanced further. But he did comment that my nasi lemak taste is better than my mil's one heeheehee...
For the chicken, this is truely finger licking delicious dish, everyone love it so much including dear daughter, even dear son finished the whole chicken :D. The chili samal that I fried from the balance marinated sauce also delicious, I can eat it just with plain nasi lemak. This is a definite keeper!
This post is linked to the event Little Thumbs Up : April 2015 Event: Chicken