The soon kuih skin was adapted from Butter Flour and Me.
1.1kg jicama, peeled and shredded
3 black fungus, soaked till soften, sliced to thin strips
4 tbsp dried shrimp, soaked in warm water till soften, roughly chopped
3 garlic gloves, minced
5 shallots, chopped small
3 tbsp oyster sauce
1 tsp salt
3 tsp brown sugar
1 tsp chicken powder
½ tbsp light soy sauce
½ tbsp fish sauce
1 tbsp corn starch + 2 tbsp water (thickening agent)
1. In a wok, heat up 2 tbsp of vegetable oil over medium low fire. Add in the minced garlic and chopped shallots, cook till fragrant. (You can put more oil to make the garlic / shallot oil to keep for using to brush on the kueh)
2. Add the chopped dried shrimp and sliced shiitake mushrooms and stir fry for a good 3-5 minutes till the mixture is aromatic and slightly brown.
3. Add in the shredded jicama and seasoning, stir fry to mix well. Cover and cook till the jicama is soften, about 5-8 minutes.
4. Lastly mix the corn starch and water together and add into the jicama mixture. This will thicken the whole filling.
5. Scoop out the filling and let cool completely before use.
Skin Ingredients :
375g wheat starch (澄面粉)
250g tapioca flour (木薯粉)
1.5 tsp salt (can increase to 2 tsp)
1125g boiling water
4.5 tbsp oil
- Sift the 2 type of flour in a mixing bowl, stir to combine.
- Add sugar, salt and hot boiling water into the flour mixture, quickly keep stirring, stop when once the dough is formed.
- Add in the oil, use hand to knead the dough for 1 min. Set aside to rest for 5 mins.
- Pinch a portion of dough (you may weigh out the skin portion by portion of about 50g each or just eye balled it. Because once you wrap, you will need to trim the sides to make it neater.)
- Roll out that skin dough portion into a flat round, then scoop about a heaping tablespoon of the filling on top, fold the skin and seal the sides. Give the kuih a good brush of cooking oil to prevent it from sticking.
- Repeat the whole process until all the filling or skin dough is used up.
- Once the water is boiled, steam the kuih in the steamer at medium fire for 10 to 12 mins until the skin has changed to a bit transparent,
- Remove and brush with some cooking or garlic/shallot oil.
- Serve hot with sweet dark sauce and chili sauce.
Post a Comment
Thank you for dropping by.