Monday, October 11, 2010
Steamed Glutinous Rice
My family loves the steamed glutinous rice that I cooked for them. As glutinous rice is not easy to digest and dear husband has sensitive stomach, so I seldom cook this dish (well, in fact I seldom cook also lah, I bake more often instead heeheehee...).
We went Giant supermarket for groceries shopping on Sunday morning after sending dear daughter to her enrichment class. We had our breakfast at the food court, I dunno what food to eat so finally, I bought a small packet of steamed glutinous rice. I let dear husband tasted some and he told me that the steamed glutinous rice that I cooked previously was so so much better :D.
Since dear husband is craving for it, of course I need to cook for him right :). So I cooked the steamed glutinous rice using the same recipe for our Sunday dinner and on top of that, I cooked additional for him to bring to office for his staff next morning as per his requested. I brought a small portion to my office for my department gals as well.
Ingredients: (for 15 to 20 pax)
6 tbsp chopped garlic
15 shallots (sliced)
250g dried shrimps (washed) - I soaked for 1 hrs + to soften the dried shrimps a bit
1.5kg Glutinous Rice (soaked overnight) -I soaked for about 13 hrs +, I woke up at 5am+ so I soaked it and cooked at 6pm+)
15 pcs preserved Chinese mushrooms (washed and soak overnight to soften, discard stems and sliced thinly) - I just soaked for 2-3 hrs
5 chinese sausage (sliced thinly)
5 taiwan sausage (sliced thinly)
400g chicken fillet (sliced into stripes)
250g pork belly (slice thinly)
3 cup water (I used the water soaked with mushrooms)
6 tbsp Dark Soya sauce
6 tbsp Oyster Sauce
3 tbsp Dark Sweet Sauce
6 tbsp Sesame oil
3 tbsp Chinese Rice Wine
6 tbsp chinese cooking wine
choice of toasted peanuts, spring onions (chopped), red chili (sliced)or fried shallots.
1. Wash and drained the soaked glutinous rice.
2. Heat up a wok, add in oil, followed by garlic and shallots. Fry for about 2minutes till fragrant.
3. Add in dried shrimps, fry for another 3minutes till nicely golden brown. (I fried till the dried shrimps became cripsy, gave crunchiness when eating the rice, yummy)
4. Add in the meat, sausage and mushroom.
5. Add in Seasoning, followed by rice. Mix.
6. lastly, add in water, Mix and remove wok from the flame.
7. Scoop rice mix into a dish for steaming.
8. Steam over high heat for 30 to 40 mins, depending on how u prefer your rice, (soft or chewy)
9. Garnish and serve.
This dish is well recieving by all, those that have tasted it. My husband said the glutinous rice is so addictive that he kept craving for more. All his staff and my department girls gave thumbs up, said is no. 1 yummilious lol. Some even suggested that I should open a stall and sell it and some commented that a lot of "liao" (ingredients). Both me and dear husband think that the glutinous rice tasted even better the next day, more sticky and chewy.