Monday, March 14, 2011
Non Bake Durian Cheesecake
This cake was made quite sometimes ago, when my health still have not deteriorated till current stage that most of the times after office hours, I only wish to lay on bed, sleep or do nothing.
The cake was the dessert after our dinner, I invited dear mum, sister and brother and of course, their partners over to my place for Laksa Steamboat.
I decided to make this non bake durian cheesecake from Kitchen Corner that I had bookmarked long time ago since non bake is much easier for me to manage and also I still have one big tub of durian pulp in my freezer.
I am submitting this to Aspiring Bakers #5 : Fruity March (March 2011) hosted by myself.
100 gm Digestive Biscuits - crushed with roller
40 gm melted butter
Mix them together and press into an 8" springform tin. Bake at 200C for 5 mins and chill it once cool.
Durian cream cheese filling adapted from Kitchen Corner with some modification.
Cream Cheese Filling:
350g cream cheese
40g caster sugar
450g durian flesh
350 whipping cream (I used dairy)
1 tablespoon gelatin
3 tablespoon water
1. Measure water into a bowl and sprinkle in the gelatin (without stirring with a spoon). Set aside to allow the gelatin grains to swell (10 mins) before setting the bowl over a pot of simmering hot water. Stir with a spoon and once the gelatin melts, remove the bowl from the pot and set aside to cool to room temperature)
2. In a mixer, whip the whipping cream until thicken but not over whipped. (I whipped till like mousse.)
3. In a mixer (no need to wash after whipping cream) , cream the cheese and sugar on high speed till smooth, beat in the gelatine mixture.
4. Stir in durian flesh until well combine.
5. Fold in the whipped cream until well combine.
6. Pour the mixture into the biscuit base and chill or freeze in the fridge for mininum 4 hours or overnight.
As I freezed the cake, it tasted so much like thick and tasty durian ice cream. Although everyone were so full after the steamboat dinner, but still managed to finish the big slice of cake, including dear daughter. Everyone raved about it, yum yum.