I think I need to consume gingko to improve my memory, I almost miss out today bake-and post-it-together event again by mixing up the date. I kept thinking that 4 Jun is Fri, just realised it in the morning that it is today. Wanted to reach office earlier so that can do the posting but all the urgent stuff kept coming in after I stepped in to office, I didn't even get a chance to go for toilet break, I had to wait till 10am+ then I was able to slip in my 1st mouth of water after reached office.
Anyway, managed to do it during lunch time before I heading to exhibition hall, which will be busy all the way again till tonight.
Recipe adapted from here.
Ingredients : for 8" chiffon cake pan
5 egg yolks
10g caster sugar
40g corn or sunflower oil
1/8 tsp salt
60g cake flour
30g rice flour 在来米粉/粘米粉
30g homemade pandan extract *
70g coconut milk
1 tsp coconut oil
1 tsp koepoe brand pandan extract
5 egg whites
50g caster sugar
1 tsp lemon juice or vinegar (I only used 1/2)
* blend 20 blades of pandan leaves with some water, squeeze out the juice. Chill the pandan juice overnight and use the bottom thick layer
1. Sift cake flour and rice flour twice.
2. Mix egg yolks and sugar in a bowl, whisk till sugar has dissolved.
3. Add in oil, salt, homemade pandan extract, coconut milk, koepoe brand pandan extract, coconut oil and mix well.
4. Sift in flour and whisk well.
5.In another bowl, beat the egg whites and lemon juice/vinegar till frothy. Add in sugar gradually and beat until approaching stiff peaks (meringue stand straight with a little curve at the tip) or till stiff peaks (this stage is a bit difficult to fold with egg yolk mixture).
6. Use whisk to loosen the egg yolk batter a bit, then take 1/3 of meringue and use a hand whisk to mix well with egg yolk batter.7. Fold in 1/2 of meringue and use a silicone spatula, gently fold with egg yolk batter till slightly combined. Fold in the balance meringue and gently fold till well combined.
8. Pour the batter from a considerable height into cake pan, lightly shake it left and right to level the cake, then gently bang the cake pan on the table top to release air bubbles.
9. Bake at pre-heated oven at 150C at center rack for 25 mins and 160C for 15-20 mins. (I off the top heat element and on it back during the last 15 mins. And also extended the baking for about 10 mins as I wanted the darker color, but it became too dark hahaha...)
10. Remove the cake pan from oven, drop it from high side to prevent the cake shrink too much during cool process.
11. Turn the cake pan upside down and cool completely before remove from the cake pan.
* I used a sharp thin knife to run along the side of the pan to remove the cake from cake pan instead of using bare hand, this is to retain the outer brown crust of the cake.
* I will prefer to eat the cake next day after it baked, it taste better. This doesn't only apply to butter or pound cake, I personally feels that it apply to all.
The cake is soft, moist and fluffy, texture of the cake is perfect but the pandan and coconut taste is not strong enough, this is the comment that I received.
I am joining Best Recipes for Everyone
June 2015 Event : Secret of Chiffon and Roll Cakes
Organized and hosted by Fion of Xuan Hom's Mom Kitchen Diary