This cake is with the combination of my favorites, chocolate and coconut, of course cannot be missed.
I sliced the cake while it was still warm so the cake may look a bit crumbly.
Recipe adapted from Nasi Lemak Lover
Ingredients : for a 8” square cake pan
225g unsalted hard butter
180g caster sugar (I cut down to 170g)
4 eggs (large or A)
1 tsp vanilla extract
210g cake flour, sifted
1 and 1/4tsp baking powder, sifted
4 tbsp milk (I used buttermilk, need to clear stock)
For coconut layer- 30g desiccated coconut
For chocolate layer- 1 tbsp cocoa powder + 1 and /1/2tbsp milk – mix together , 20g chocolate chips (I increased the chocolate chips to 50g)
For sprinkle on top – 2 tbsp desiccated coconut
1. Place the butter, sugar and vanilla in the bowl of an electric mixer and beat until light and creamy.
2. Add one egg at a time, beating well after each addition. After well combine, slightly increase speed and beat for 1min till fluffy.
3. Add the flour and baking powder (sifted together) and beat well to combine, fold milk alternately and combine well.
4. Equally divide batter into two portions, one portion mix with coconut and another portion mix with cocoa powder and milk, and chocolate chips, mix well.
5. Spoon chocolate batter in the cake tin lined with paper, then top with coconut batter. Tap the tin to remove any air bubbles.
6. Bake at preheated oven at 170c for 50 - 55 mins or until a skewer insert and come out clean.
7. Cool on wire rack, sprinkle desiccated coconut on top.
Coconut and Chocolate are good friends too, the combination of the cakes really surprisingly great. When bite into the cake, you will get different texture, the soft butter cake, the crunchiness desiccated coconut, the chocolaty chocolate butter layer with chocolate cake, No wonder I got rave on this cake, a keeper.