There was a period that I was crazed over making bao, this was one of the project.
Recipe adapted from Honey Bee Sweets
Bao skin Ingredient:
400g pao flour or hong kong flour
1/2 tsp salt
10g double action baking powder
2 tsp instant active yeast
Chicken thigh meat, deboned and skinned, cut into small chunks
8 dried mushrooms, socked and cut into small chunks
1 stalk of green onion, cut small
6 water chestnuts, peeled and cut small
120g jicama (bang kuan), peeled and cut small chunks
4 to 5 hard boil eggs, cut into wedges
2 tsp ginger juice
2 tbsp soy sauce
1 tbsp rose wine
1.5 tbsp sugar
2 tbsp oyster sauce
1 tbsp sesame oil
dash of pepper
1.5 tsp chicken seasoning
2 tsp cornflour
1 tbsp cornstarch mixed in 2 tbsp warm water
- In a large bowl, place the prepared chicken thigh meat in and add all the seasoning in, mix well. Let it marinate for at least 1.5 hrs in the refrigerator.
- To make the Bao skin, place everything in a large mixing bowl and mix well. Knead the mixture till it becomes a soft dough. Let rest for 10 minutes and knead it again till the dough becomes smooth. Cover the dough and let proof for 1.5 hrs to 2 hrs till it doubles.
- In the meantime, prepare the frying wok with 2 tbsp of cooking oil @ medium heat. First add the jicama and chestnuts, stir fry for a minute, then add the marinated chicken. Continue to stir fry till cooked. Add in the thickening mixture and stir well. Dish up and let cool before wrapping.
- Punch out the proofed dough and divide it to about 15 to 16 portions. Roll them round and let rest for another 15 minutes before filling and shaping the baos.
- Take a portion of the dough and roll flat and fill about 3 tbsp of the chicken filling in. Place 1 wedge of the hard boil egg on top and gently seal up the bao. Repeat this until all the Bao skin and filling has been used up.
- Prepare the steamer and steam the baos for at least 10 minutes at high heat. After 10 minutes, remove from steamer and let cool for 5 minutes before serving.
Let the baos proof for at least 10 minutes before putting it into the steamer.this recipe makes about 15 medium to big bao.