Recipe modified from Baking for Happy Kids
6 egg yolks
45g sunflower oil
180g chocolate milk
80g cake flour
25g cocoa powder
1/4 tsp salt
6 egg whites
100g caster sugar
A few drop of lemon juice/vinegar
1 cup chocolate chips (some for toppings)
- Beat egg yolks, oil and milk in a large mixing bowl until well combined. Sift in flour, corn flour, cocoa powder and salt and whisk gently until the batter is smooth and combined. Add in chocolate chips and mix well. Set aside.
- In another bowl, whisk egg whites in the lowest speed for at least 10 mins to stabilise the mixture. Mixture will be creamy type of foamy. Increase beating speed to medium (not too high to avoid large bubbles forming). While beating, add sugar gradually and continue to beat until stiff peaks form. With the adequate amount of sugar added, this meringue should be stable and smooth too with tiny bubbles. Do not over-beat the mixture.
- Using a hand whisk or a spatula, gently fold in the egg whites to the egg yolks mixture in 3-4 batches. It is ok to mix the 1st batch of egg white more vigorously into the egg yolk mixture but the subsequent portions must be folded in very gently. Make sure that most of the white is not visible after folding.
- Pour batter into the cake pan and give the pan a gentle tap and use a skewer to draw a zigzag to remove air bubbles only on the surface in the batter.
- Drizzle a handful of chocolate chips on the batter.
- Bake for at least 60 mins in pre-heated oven at 170C in total or until it is thoroughly baked. Tip: To avoid the top of the cake from browning too quickly, cover the top of the cake very loosely with a piece of foil after 40 mins of baking and continue to bake for at least 60 mins in total.
- Remove from oven and invert the cake immediately to cool on a wire rack. Allow the cake to cool completely in the pan before removing it from the pan.
Post a Comment
Thank you for dropping by.