Recipe modified from here
Ingredients : (20cm heart shape cake pan)
5 egg yolk
120g cake flour
125 gula melaka palm sugar, chopped
85g coconut milk
50g coconut oil
1/4 tsp salt
5 egg white
1/2 tsp lemon juice or vinegar
35g caster sugar
- Prepare a chiffon cake pan, don’t need to grease or line paper.
- Separate egg white and egg yolk into two mixing bowls.
- Melt the chopped gula Melaka with coconut milk in a saucepan with low heat.
- Remove from heat and add in the sifted flour immediately, quickly stir to mix well and form a soft dough.
- Add in coconut oil and salt to mix well, then add in egg yolks one by one and mix well.
- Beat egg whites and lemon juice till frothy. Gradually add in sugar and beat until approaching stiff peaks (meringue stand straight up with a little curve at the tip) or till stiff peaks (this stage is a bit difficult to fold with egg yolk mixture)
- Loosen the egg yolk batter and take 1/3 of meringue and use a hand whisk to mix well with egg yolk batter.
- Fold in 1/2 of meringue and use a spatula, gently fold with egg yolk batter till slightly combined. Fold in the balance meringue and gently fold till well combined.
- Pour the batter from a considerable height into cake pan, lightly shake it left and right to level the cake, then gently bang the cake pan on the table top to release air bubbles.
- Bake at pre-heated oven at 100C at center rack for 25 mins. Then adjust to 160C for 15-20 mins. (I off the top heat element and on it back during the last 15-20 mins)
- Remove the cake pan from oven, drop it from high side to prevent the cake shrink too much during cool process.
- Turn the cake pan upside down and cool completely before remove from the cake pan.