These 2 cakes were baked for both dear mum and mil for their 70th birthday 3 years ago. I remember I received a lot of raves on the cake, the cake was very refreshing and everyone still able to consumer 1 slice even after a full dinner.
Ingredients for Cake : 8” round cake pan
4 egg yolks
30g castor sugar
50g corn oil
60g fresh milk
125g cake flour
1/2 tsp baking soda
4 egg whites
80g castor sugar
- In a bowl, place egg yolks and sugar together, use a hand whisk to mix until combined. Add corn oil, fresh milk and shifted flour, continue mix well and smooth. set aside.
- In a mixing bowl, whisk egg whites until mixture forms soft peaks. Gradually add in castor sugar, beating at high speed until frothy and stiff peaks form.
- Gently fold in 1/3 of meringue into egg yolk batter, mix well by using a rubber spatula, then add the remaining meringue until blended.
- Pour batter into ungreased 8-in cake pan.
- Bake in preheated oven at 170C for 40 minutes or until cooked.
- Remove from oven, invert cake onto table, leave to cool before cutting into 3 layers.
Ingredients for Lemon Ganache :
120g castor sugar
130g lemon juice
2 lemon rind
200g dairy whipped cream
- Put all the ingredients into a small pot and mix well (except the butter), use double boiled method stir and cook till mixture fluffy and smooth, filter it.
- Continue to put the pot on double boiled pan, add butter and stir continuously until mixture has thickened.
- Remove from heat, leave it to cool, set aside.
To Assemble :
- Place 1 slice of cake into the cake pan, apply lemon ganache on the layer of cake and spread with some whipped cream.
- Cover with the 2nd layer of cake, repeat the same way till the last layer.
- Cover the whole cake with the balance of the whipped cream and smooth the side and top. Pour lemon ganache over the whole cake or just pipe around the cake rind, chill before serving.
- Decorate as desire.