Ingredients for Cake: for 8" round cake pan
5 egg yolks
10g caster sugar
40g corn or sunflower oil
1/8 tsp salt
60g cake flour
30g rice flour 在来米粉/粘米粉
30g homemade pandan extract *
70g coconut milk
1 tsp coconut oil
5 egg whites
50g caster sugar
1 tsp lemon juice or vinegar (I only used 1/2)
* blend 20 blades of pandan leaves with some water, squeeze out the juice. Chill the pandan juice overnight and use the bottom thick layer
1. Sift cake flour and rice flour twice.
2. Mix egg yolks and sugar in a bowl, whisk till sugar has dissolved.
3. Add in oil, salt, homemade pandan extract, coconut milk, koepoe brand pandan extract, coconut oil and mix well.
4. Sift in flour and whisk well.
5.In another bowl, beat the egg whites and lemon juice/vinegar till frothy. Add in sugar gradually and beat until approaching stiff peaks (meringue stand straight with a little curve at the tip) or till stiff peaks (this stage is a bit difficult to fold with egg yolk mixture).6. Use whisk to loosen the egg yolk batter a bit, then take 1/3 of meringue and use a hand whisk to mix well with egg yolk batter.
7. Fold in 1/2 of meringue and use a silicone spatula, gently fold with egg yolk batter till slightly combined. Fold in the balance meringue and gently fold till well combined.
8. Pour the batter from a considerable height into cake pan, lightly shake it left and right to level the cake, then gently bang the cake pan on the table top to release air bubbles.
9. Bake at pre-heated oven at 150C at center rack for 25 mins and 160C for 15-20 mins. (I off the top heat element and on it back during the last 15 mins. And also extended the baking for about 10 mins as I wanted the darker color, but it became too dark hahaha...)
10. Remove the cake pan from oven, drop it from high side to prevent the cake shrink too much during cool process.
11. Turn the cake pan upside down and cool completely before remove from the cake pan.
Swiss Meringue Buttercream
210g egg whites or from 7 eggs
1 tsp vanilla extract
- Lightly whisk the egg and sugar in a mixing bowl until sugar dissolve, place it over a pot of simmering water (double boil / bain marie). Keep whisking the mixture.
- Remove from heat once reach 72C to kill the Salmonella.
- Pour the mixture to KA mixing bowl, whisk the mixture to thick and glossy, ribbon stage.
- Keep whisking until the mixing is cooled. (use cold towel to keep dapping the mixing bowl).
- Change to K beater, put in the cubed butter, one by one, ensure each addition is incorporated before add in next one.
- Beat until the mixture become smooth and silky. Dun worry is the mixture become curdle, continue to beat or use spatula to fold.
150g gula melaka
50g coconut milk
3 pcs pandan leaves