Baked this to clear the frozen strawberries that occupied my freezer space. I forgot to add in the oil, but I know the cake will turn out nothing much different as this was not the 1st time I forgot to add the oil into batter lol.
5 egg yolks
100g cake flour
20g rice flour
150g strawberry puree
50g strawberry yogurt drink/smoothie
5 egg whites
70g caster sugar
a few drop lemon juice
- Sift cake flour and rice flour twice.
- Mix egg yolks and sugar in a bowl, whisk till sugar has dissolved.
- Add in oil, salt, strawberry puree, strawberry yoghurt drinks and mix well.
- Sift in flour and whisk well.
- In another bowl, beat the egg whites and lemon juice/vinegar till frothy. Add in sugar gradually and beat until approaching stiff peaks (meringue stand straight with a little curve at the tip) or till stiff peaks (this stage is a bit difficult to fold with egg yolk mixture).6. Use whisk to loosen the egg yolk batter a bit, then take 1/3 of meringue and use a hand whisk to mix well with egg yolk batter.
- Fold in 1/2 of meringue and use a silicone spatula, gently fold with egg yolk batter till slightly combined. Fold in the balance meringue and gently fold till well combined.
- Pour the batter from a considerable height into cake pan, lightly shake it left and right to level the cake, then gently bang the cake pan on the table top to release air bubbles.
- Bake at pre-heated oven at 100C at center rack for 25 mins and 160C for 15-20 mins. (I off the top heat element and on it back during the last 15 mins)
- Remove the cake pan from oven, drop it from high side to prevent the cake shrink too much during cool process.
- Turn the cake pan upside down and cool completely before remove from the cake pan.
The batter filled up about 80% of the cake pan and rise very high that yield a tall cake. The cake is soft, fluffy and very moist (may be should extend the baking for another 5 mins). The strawberry taste very mild but dear brother like it, it tasted nice when chilled.